Fort Meade, MD
Human Resources Intern Program
Fort Meade, MD
Posted: 2019-08-01 – Closing: 2019-10-15
Attention all Human Resources (HR), Business, Psychology, Marketing, Economics, and Data Scientist majors!
Don’t miss this opportunity to gain valuable paid work experience as an HR Undergraduate Summer Intern at the National Security Agency (NSA). The NSA Human Resources Group works with Agency leadership to recruit and retain a highly-skilled technical workforce. We invite you to spend your summer in an intense, exciting, and educational 12-week internship open to select college graduates and undergraduates majoring in Human Resources (an alternative major such as Business, Marketing or Psychology with a minor or concentration in Human Resources is also acceptable). You will acquire practical HR experience while putting your intelligence and creativity to work in the U.S. Intelligence Community, for the world’s technology leader.
As an NSA HR Summer Intern, you will be assigned in one of these specialty areas: Total Compensation, HR Strategies, Recruitment and Staffing, HR Benefits and Employee Services, HR Information Systems, HR Data Analytics, or Global HR Service Delivery.
As an intern working in the HR People Analytics unit at NSA, you will learn how to use HR data to deliver consultation and analysis to customers across the Agency to help them gain a better understanding of their workforce. You will have the opportunity to be exposed to many parts of the Agency and to interact with personnel at all levels. The People Analytics unit develops data models, conducts predictive analytics, produces a wide variety of analytic reports, and develops fascinating insights related to our hiring process, and you will have the opportunity to work on projects that cut across this range of activity. We look for teammates who want to learn how to help others to leverage workforce-based information to enable better decision-making, and who demonstrate curiosity about information and data. Exposure to business intelligence tools (examples include Cognos, Tableau, PowerBI, Python, R, MS Excel, etc.) is beneficial but not expressly required to have a successful experience.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
– Students are paid a competitive salary commensurate with their education level.
– Receive annual leave, sick leave and paid federal holidays.
– Participation in agency-wide extracurricular programs.
– Daily transportation to and from work is not provided. Students participating in the program are highly encouraged to bring a vehicle. Carpooling with other students MAY be available but NOT guaranteed.
– Subsidized housing accommodations are available upon request if school is located in excess of 75 miles from NSA main HQs campus.
Join students from across the country and lend your knowledge to national security in one of NSA’s over 25 summer internship programs. These 12 week paid programs run from mid-May to mid-August and are open to undergraduate freshman up to Ph.D. students depending on internship requirements. These internships are open to a wide variety of majors and give students the opportunity to work directly with mission-critical problems and experience the excitement of working directly in NSA spaces.
– Must be a U.S. citizen.
– Must be eligible to be granted a security clearance.
– Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
– Must be currently enrolled in a degree-seeking college or university program; must have completed the junior year of undergraduate career prior to the internship, and have at least one semester remaining following the internship.
– Undergraduate and Graduate students are eligible.
– Must provide unofficial or official transcripts.
– Must major in Human Resources, Business, Marketing, or Psychology with a documented Human Resources minor.
– Must be available for an operational interview and other applicable processing between the months of December 2019 and March 2020.
Candidates are expected to have completed courses in at least one of the following areas of study:
– Compensation and Benefits.
– Data Science.
– Employee and Labor Relations.
– Employment Law.
– Organizational Behavior.
– Organizational Research.
– HR Analysis.
– HR Strategy.
– Global HR.
– Workforce Planning and Staffing.
– Performance Management.
Skills and Abilities
We are seeking candidates who can demonstrate a variety of skills and abilities including:
– Customer Service to anticipate and identify the needs of customers.
– Consulting Skills to build effective relationships with line managers to help them strategically manage their human resources.
– Written and Verbal Communication Skills to articulate HR strategies, initiatives, options and advice.
– Ability to interpret and apply legislation and policies related to HR.
– Work Management and Organizational Skills to manage multiple activities to accomplish desired end results.
How To Apply – External
Applications must be submitted online on or before October 15th. Applications received after the deadline, as well as incomplete packages, will not be considered.
Your application should include:
– A resume.
– Official or unofficial transcripts.
To submit the online application, you must use our resume builder application tool.
Transcripts may be issued directly by the Registrar, or issued to you by the Registrar, then sent with your application materials. Only originals via post, photocopies of originals via post, scanned copies of originals via email (PDF format only) will be accepted. If your Registrar is capable of directly sending electronic transcripts, please have them sent directly to you and then email the transcripts to Summer_HR1@nsa.gov as an attachment. Please do not send html transcripts accessible via a website or text versions thereof.
IMPORTANT: Please email all required documentation (resume, transcripts) to Summer_HR1@nsa.gov.
**Applications are not complete without the requested documentation. If you have applied to multiple positions, you MUST follow the instructions on each posting and send your requested documents to each program separately. Documents will NOT be shared between programs.
If you have questions about the Human Resources Summer Intern Program, please contact us at the email address above or call 1-844-ICHIRES. You may also e-mail Summer_Interns@nsa.gov or call (410) 854-4726.
U.S. Citizenship is required for all applicants. Reasonable accommodations provided to applicants with disabilities during the application and hiring process where appropriate. NSA is an equal opportunity employer and abides by applicable employment laws and regulations. All applicants and employees are subject to random drug testing in accordance with Executive Order 12564. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a security background investigation and polygraph.
This position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans’ Preference to eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans’ preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you may be asked to submit documents verifying your eligibility.
The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority.
JBNSA / An Equal Opportunity Employer