Fort Meade, MD
Engineering Specialist/Technician – Entry to Experienced Level
Fort Meade, MD
Posted: 2019-07-01 – Closing: 2019-09-30
The professionals at the National Security Agency (NSA) have one common goal: to protect our nation. The mission requires a strong offense and a steadfast defense. The offense collects, processes and disseminates intelligence information derived from foreign signals for intelligence and counterintelligence purposes. The defense prevents adversaries from gaining access to sensitive classified national security information. With the ever-accelerating technological advances and growing system complexity, NSA needs Engineering Specialists/Technicians to help build, install, modify, repair and/or test electronic equipment.
The responsibilities of an Engineering Specialist/Technician may include:
– Installing, operating, maintaining, troubleshooting and/or repairing of equipment and systems in accordance with applicable standards and processes.
– Performing rack, stack, and cabling of equipment in IT machine rooms
– Maintaining Configuration Items (CI) in a centralized data base
– Capturing and tracking IT machine room Power, Space, and Cooling
– Serving as an Access Manager for IT machine rooms
– Operating industrial/production equipment, machinery, and tools such as machine tools, presses, air compressors, and printing and packaging equipment.
– Operating mechanized material-handling equipment (for example, forklifts, hand trucks).
– Informing customers, management, or relevant others of work progress, project status, and problems.
– Ordering, procuring, receiving, inspecting, and/or verifying ordered supplies, materials, or equipment.
– Driving vehicles, such as cars, vans, or trucks to transport cargo or passengers.
The ideal candidate has a desire for continual learning along with excellent problem-solving, analytic, and interpersonal skills, who is:
– able to handle and prioritize multiple assignments
– able to accomplish assignments with little direct supervision
– able to communicate effectively both orally and written
– medically clearable for worldwide travel
– able to work effectively across several different functional areas in a collaborative environment
Knowledge, skills, and experience in one or more of the following is desired:
– Working at heights to include antenna towers
– Soldering of electronic components
– Troubleshooting of electrical and mechanical devices
– RF amplification and distribution
– Power distribution
– Fabrication of RF and multi-conductor cable assemblies
– DAWIA Certification may be required
– Additive Manufacturing
– 3D print
– Rapid prototyping
– FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling)
– SLA (Stereo Lithography Apparatus)
– Laser sintering
– SLS – Selective Laser Sintering
– Plastic Powder Bed 3D printing
– DLMS – Direct Laser metal Sintering
– Metal Powder Bed 3D Printing
– Tool & Die
– CNC (Computer Numerical Control) programming
– CAD (Computer-Aided Design)/CAM (Computer-Aided Manufacturing)
– Sheet Metal Fabrication
– Industrial painting
– Punch press
– Press brake
– Water jet
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
On-the job training, Internal NSA courses, and external training will be made available based on the need and experience of the selectee.
Work schedule may be a fixed schedule or flexible depending on the exact position assigned.
As an Engineering and Physical Science professional, you will use your skills to create the systems and tools that will be used to enhance the operation of intelligence. You will advise, administer and perform scientific projects, such as planning, designing, and constructing specialized equipment, and ensuring adherence to sound engineering and scientific standards and principles. The NSA offers multiple areas of focus for facilities engineers, including computer, architectural, electrical, mechanical, and structural. In addition, we are seeking skills that include computer design, microelectronics, radio frequency design, and systems engineering. Apply your science and engineering skills to protect the nation.
How To Apply – External
To apply for this position, please click the ‘Apply’ button located at the top right of this posting. After completing the application for the first time, or reviewing previously entered information, and clicking the ‘Submit’ button, you will receive a confirmation email. Please ensure your spam filters are configured to accept emails from firstname.lastname@example.org.
***PLEASE NOTE: U.S. Citizenship is required for all applicants. Reasonable accommodations provided to applicants with disabilities during the application and hiring process where appropriate. NSA is an equal opportunity employer and abides by applicable employment laws and regulations. All applicants and employees are subject to random drug testing in accordance with Executive Order 12564. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a security background investigation and polygraph.
This position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans’ Preference to eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans’ preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you may be asked to submit documents verifying your eligibility.
Please note that you may be asked a series of questions depending on the position you apply for. Your responses will be used as part of the screening process of your application and will assist in determining your eligibility for the position. Be sure to elaborate on experiences in your resume. Failure to provide the required information or providing inaccurate information will result in your application not being considered for this position. Only those applicants who meet the qualifications for the position will be contacted to begin employment processing.
Please Note: Job Posting could close earlier than the closing date due to sufficient number of applicants or position no longer available. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority.
JBNSA / An Equal Opportunity Employer